Senior Backend Engineer, Messaging
Postscript is redefining marketing for ecommerce companies. By introducing SMS as an entirely new channel for ecommerce stores to engage, retain, and convert their customer base, brands are seeing huge ROI with Postscript. Backed by Greylock, Y Combinator and other top investors, Postscript is growing fast and looking for remarkable people to help build a world class organization.
** We are not open to working with external agencies on this role and are only considering candidates based in North America**
As a Senior Backend Engineer for the Messaging Platform team at Postscript, you will bring your passion for maximizing scalability to the task of creating modular, maintainable, and observable code for the core of our business. Your work will directly contribute to building the fastest, most reliable, and functionally rich messaging platform for ecommerce on the market. You will be given the autonomy to grow to your full potential and your work will directly impact our customers and Postscript’s bottom line.
As a senior engineer you will help lead your team in weighing technical constraints and business priorities to make the necessary trade-offs to deliver customer value. Our backend stack is currently Python, within a mostly monolithic, AWS-managed architecture, which is in various stages of refactoring to accommodate our increasing scalability/complexity challenges. The Messaging Platform Senior Engineer will be expected to lead the charge in helping to break up the monolith and address scalability, and will bring a wide range of experiences and skills, as well as the courage to try something new, to the role.
Your passion for building great products, especially in early-stage companies, will lead you to have a meaningful and positive impact on both the product and the company. In addition, you will have the opportunity to help expand the engineering team and build out architecture and processes as we scale.. All positions at Postscript are fully remote.
- Research, design, and deploy new technical solutions for a variety of ground-breaking projects
- Architect, build, and maintain REST APIs for external and internal customers
- Identify bottlenecks and points of scale and implement solutions that improve throughput and efficiency in our core messaging architecture
- Work closely with product and design and other engineers on your team to deliver a high quality, world-class product
- Take ownership and get creative with your solutions, dive into bold ideas in order to achieve outstanding results
- Contribute to the health of the team through honest and direct feedback as we iterate and improve on our SDLC processes and procedures
- Lead group sessions and participate in the product to engineering project lifecycle to actively ensure your team is guided by product-focused architecture and implementation to achieve our goals
- Guide your team to make optimal technical and product design decisions
- Mentor other engineers on best practices, standards, and learning opportunities
- Be accountable for communicating transparently and proactively, defining scope, breaking down and estimating tasks, risk and change management
- A track record of leading teams and projects through phases of ambiguity and challenge with great results
- A proven career as a software engineer developing backend applications and APIs, hands-on expertise using Python (Flask and SQLAlchemy a plus). SaaS experience preferred, history of working with compiled languages such as Go, Rust, or Java
- Familiarity with building applications on AWS services
- Experience with relational databases, SQL, and experience with database modeling (PostgreSQL a plus), NoSQL
- Experience building modular, flexible architectures (avoiding vendor lock-in, maximizing readability and extensibility)
- Some interest and/or experience in UI frameworks such as React
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in high growth, early stage tech preferred
- Experience coaching, mentoring and onboarding engineers
What we’ll love about you
- Experience building or directly contributing to a great product
- Experience working through scalability challenges with aplomb
- Fearless in your pursuit of excellent results
- Passion for early stage companies and the opportunity to be responsible for owning and improving a new, fast-growing code base
- Experience establishing best practices in development processes
- Great communicator and love helping others
- Empathy for users
- Strong attention to detail
- Remote work experience is a plus
What You’ll Love About Us
- Salary range of USD $170,000 to $200,000 base plus significant equity regardless of location
- High growth startup - plenty of room for you to directly impact the company and grow your career!
- Remote team - work from home (or wherever!)
- Fun - We’re passionate and enjoy what we do
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for equity
- Flexible paid time off
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Other great perks, such as home office stipend
For information about how we use your personal data, please see our U.S. Job Applicant Privacy Notice
You are welcome here. Postscript is an ever-evolving place of equal employment for talented individuals.