Sales Manager (Phoenix, AZ based)
Sales & Business Development
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
Trainual is a team of 100+ super-talented folks obsessed with making small business easier. And while our team members come with diverse experiences, we’re united by our passion for making ideas happen. We launched the world’s first playbook tool in 2018, and today, thousands of companies in nearly every industry use it to scale their teams.
We’re a great place to work. AZCentral named Trainual the #1 place to work in Arizona. And Inc recognized us on their 2021, 2022, and 2023 Best Workplaces list. But we can’t say we blame them. We’re a hybrid team with an unwavering culture that recognizes everyone’s impact matters.
We’ve got benefits on benefits. Above market pay, an annual experience fund, 4 weeks paid vacation (plus 5 sick days), the latest tech, parental leave, 401k matching, free One Medical subscription, and top-notch health care - just to name a few.
We’re disrupting the SMB industry. Our goal is to equip every team with a winning playbook. One that provides clarity around who does what and how. And with 7k small businesses scaling what they do with Trainual, we’re only scratching the surface.
We’re in good company. In June 2021, we closed a $27M Series B round. And we partner with some of the biggest names in small business, including Shark Tank star Daymond John, Slack, Loom, the cast of The Office, and more.
We all own what we’re building. Everyone who works at Trainual has life-changing pre-IPO equity. That way, you can be proud of what we’re building and sleep well knowing your teammates are (literally) just as invested as you are.
Trainual is looking to bring on a Sales Manager to take the reins and lead our exceptional sales team. This role will be at the forefront in hiring, leading, coaching, and managing a dynamic team of inbound sales reps. Our team is full of seasoned powerhouses (it’s not their first rodeo) who are extremely invested in our product and deeply rooted into our culture here at Trainual, so you shouldn’t be worried about them teaching you a thing or two. 😉
You will be helping orchestrate predictable revenue growth by building scalable inbound sales processes to help our reps convert inbound prospects into loyal, paid customers. Some may shy away from such a challenge, but not you - you can’t wait to keep reading and to click “apply”.
So, who are you? You’re not just an educator; you’re a hands-on leader—a doer who isn't afraid to roll up your sleeves and jump into any challenge to support your team. You actively participate in the execution. You lead by example and understand that success is achieved through a combination of strategic guidance and hands-on collaboration.
What you will own & improve:
- Team Leadership and Development: Fostering a high-performing, improvement-driven sales team & positive culture. You’re a natural coach, team wins are your wins. You’re confident in monitoring metrics and driving productivity by leading with empathy and guidance.
- Revenue Growth through Scalable Processes: Driving predictable revenue growth by implementing and optimizing scalable sales processes. You have a keen eye and first hand experience on what works and you’re not afraid to refine strategies that can impact team operations, prospect communication, and ultimately convert more leads into paying customers. Tools and automation? Heck yes. Analyzing data to move quickly and optimize processes? Say less.
- Hands-On Collaboration and Execution: Lead by example? Practice what you preach? You get it. You’re truly part of the team and you’re willing to actively participate and jump into any challenge. Testing a new tool or script? You’re game to try and see what works for yourself. You’re down to help work through tough customer interactions, help close a deal, collaborate and problem solve – an overall extremely reliable resource for your team.
What you already have:
- Leadership experience: Previous experience in leading teams, managing performance, developing training resources, and fostering a positive team culture.
- Sales experience: As a successful sales leader, at some point you started as the sales rep, and experienced the ebbs and flows of wins and challenges yourself - an essential perspective.
- Evident communicative and problem-solving skills: Possess strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with team members, clients, and executive stakeholders. You thrive in fast-paced environments, adapt quickly, think critically, solve problems, and emanate confidence in your decision-making.
How success is measured:
- Team Performance: Achieve a noticeable improvement in team performance metrics. Indicators: Increase in lead conversion rates & overall MRR sold by team and increase productivity per team member.
- Revenue Growth: Contribute to significant revenue growth through inbound sales. Indicators: Meet or exceed revenue targets set for the inbound sales team, successfully manage capacity, and implement strategies that contribute to the scalability of revenue generation.
- Team Development: Demonstrate the successful development and overall sentiment of the sales team. Indicators: High team morale and positive team culture, supporting well-rounded feedback/communication loops, skill improvement, and professional growth among team members.
- Process Optimization: Implement streamlined and optimized sales processes. Indicators: Successful rollout and implementation of new processes to enhance lead management and data-driven insights leading to achieving higher revenue targets.
- Hands-On Collaboration: Demonstrate active hands-on collaboration and participation in sales activities. Indicators: Regular support/participation in customer interactions and deal closings, proactive problem-solving, a demonstrated ability to address challenges, and seamless collaboration with cross-functional teams.
About the Team
This role will report to our incredible Director of Sales, Sara Beech. They will have five (and growing!) account executives reporting up to them.
This is a Phoenix-based role with in-office collab time 1-2 days a week!
The salary for this role is ~$100k and $20k variable for a total of $120k OTE - based on experience and evaluation throughout the interview process.
Competitive salary: We pay at or above market salary in most cases and leverage extensive amounts of data to ensure everyone is paid well.
Health insurance: We cover 100% of the employee premiums and significantly subsidize family plans. We use
Justworks to make benefits easy. We offer additional healthcare resources like RedirectHealth, OneMedical, FSA, and HSA. Plus all HSA-compatible plans are met with a company HSA match of up to $1,000 a year.
Dental & vision: We offer subsidized dental and vision coverage.
Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance: We cover 100% of the premiums for Short Term Disability Insurance and 1x salary Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary disability and life insurance through our provider.
Paid time off: 4 weeks of paid vacation. 5 days of paid sick time. 12 paid holidays.
Paid parental leave, including adoption: 8 weeks of fully paid time off.
401k with a 3% matching through Guideline 401(k).
Experience stipend: Up to $500 per year to experience something new - whether that’s a new ice cream flavor or a new country.
Great tools: Each employee receives a Mac laptop and a 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
Complete transparency: Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Show Up Ready: Plan enough to pull it off, and pivot if needed. For our customers and our co-workers, we embody preparation and order. We work from an agenda. We start and end meetings on time. We put in the effort to polish what we present, all in an effort to build trust with those around us. When a company hires Trainual, they expect an experience that feels simple. The appearance of simplicity requires tremendous planning and preparation, so this characteristic has to be a core trait of everyone that works here.
Make Ideas Happen: Execute on what you innovate. We don’t just tolerate change, and go along for the ride; we drive change. Companies are like cruise ships, and turning them can take some time. But turning the wheel happens in just a few seconds. It’s the decision to redirect, and to make something different. It’s the vantage point at the front of the boat where you can see where you’re heading, before anyone else knows. We are the ones to initiate this change. It’s up to us to have the vision, to always look forward, and to spot obstacles and opportunities before they become issues.
Carry the Groceries: Carry extra weight without being asked. Go above and beyond whenever you sense a need. Look for opportunities to impress, and be ready to roll your sleeves up to make someone else’s life a little easier. It’s what we do. "Before starting my first business, I bagged groceries at a supermarket in Massachusetts. No one ever expected me to carry the groceries to the car, but when I did, it made their day. It’s such a simple thing, and took only an extra minute of my time, but it made a tremendous difference in that customer’s experience at the store. At Trainual, be helpful everywhere possible." - Chris Ronzio, CEO
No Red Tape: Work hard to make every process easy. There is nothing more frustrating than a bureaucratic process, and you won’t find one here. Never make customers or coworkers jump through hoops. Don’t let policy supersede logic. You’ll never go wrong making things easier on others, so challenge every system that could have fewer steps, more automation, and less complexity.
Collect Experiences: Have endless curiosity for a new perspective and knowledge. We work with people in all different industries, from all different walks of life. In order to build trust, understand the real picture, and help create change, we need to build real relationships. Listen to others, and relate to them. Be an experience collector, so that you have an endless supply of topics that can be used to find common ground.
Everyone has a Key: In results we trust. You'll notice from your first day that every employee at Trainual literally has a key to the office. We trust you, or we wouldn't have hired you. Some people say trust is earned, but we believe that trust is the default. Everyone carries their weight, and everyone is an owner of what we are building. We won't tell you exactly how to get the job done -- you won't find micromanagement here. So, remember that your productivity is measured by your impact and your effort.
Hybrid Work at Trainual
At Trainual, we believe everyone has a key, literally. This value means you are an owner of your experience, productivity, and growth. We know everyone is different - productive at different times of day, in different settings, with different types of work. So what does this mean for the future of work at Trainual?
TL;DR - Work when, where, and how you work best.
- Anyone can work from the office at any time. We often have remote folks in town working from our PHX office!
- If you live in Phoenix, there is not a specific requirement of days worked in the office, but our motto is "we like to see you more than we don't!"
- If you want to relocate to PHX, we will help make that happen! We want everyone to have a community, trusted relationships, easy collaboration, and a clear path for growth while maintaining autonomy, ownership, and flexibility.
- Regardless of where you live or how often you come to the office, Trainual has the expectation that when you are “at work” whether that’s at the office or working from home, you are in a distraction free environment. This includes having full time childcare.
Location: 70% of our team is based out of Phoenix, AZ and our preference for new team members is local due to the ease of ad hoc collaboration and community building. However, we know great talent lives all over! If you don't live in Arizona and are interested in working at Trainual, we will consider each state on a case-by-case basis due to the implications of doing business in each state.
Visa Sponsorship: We welcome and support people of all different backgrounds (18% of our team was either born or raised outside of the US)! However, due to the constraints of being a small startup, we are not able to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas at this time. Check out our blog with more details here: https://trainual.com/trainual-embraces-remote-first/
I’m getting the feeling that you’re ready to click that apply button.
If you don’t tick every box, please don’t rule yourself out just yet. We’ve seen the research that women and other people in underrepresented groups tend to only apply when the checklist is all ticks. We prioritize hiring incredible human beings over simply ticking boxes – so if this role resonates with you, hit that apply button!
Join us in building the turnkey operations manual and playbook solution for companies all over the world! We know you want to.